Supporting Your Not-So-Long Walk to Financial Freedom this Madiba Month
“There is no easy walk to freedom anywhere, and many of us will have to pass through the valley of the shadow of death again and again before we reach the mountaintop of our desires.” – Nelson Mandela
July is Madiba Month, and we are taking this opportunity to reflect on the vision, hopes and dreams that the late and great Nelson Mandela had for his fellow South Africans – dreams of equality, empowerment and financial freedom. As Madiba says, it is a long walk to freedom, but it is a walk well worth taking, and it needn’t be endured alone.
Our mission at Debtline has always been to help people to get back in control of their finances so that they may live the life that they have envisioned for themselves. To this end, we offer the following financial assistance services:
- PERSONAL FINANCE RESCUE
- Our expert consultants will draw up a formal review of your financial situation and work with you to create a realistic monthly budget. Thereafter, you can register for debt review, meaning that our debt counsellors will negotiate with all of your creditors on your behalf to lower your interest rates and work out a more affordable repayment plan. Debt review will also grant you legal protection against asset repossession, blacklisting, bankruptcy, and harassment by creditors and/or debt collectors.
- Find Out More
- CREDIT MONITORING
- Our financial analysts will consult with a number of partnered credit bureaus to draft a consolidated credit report that will allow you to get an accurate and comprehensive view of your financial situation. We will then work with you to brainstorm potential financial solutions and lifestyle adjustments (e.g. budgeting systems, cancelling debit orders, reassessing your insurance policies, etc.) that will help you to get a good credit score and achieve financial stability.
- Find Out More
The path from overindebtedness to financial security is no easy journey, but it is far from impossible. So long as you have the resources and support that you need, you will reach the mountaintop. Nelson Mandela is famously quoted as saying that, “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world”. We couldn’t agree more, and we believe that it is our duty not only to provide practical solutions such as debt review and credit monitoring, but also to equip you with the essential tools and information that you need to support your journey to a debt-free life.
We have thus compiled the following directory of educational resources:
- Credit Bureau Association Resources:
- National Credit Regulator Resources:
- – All You Need to Know About the National Credit Act as a Consumer
- – The National Credit Act and the National Credit Regulator
- – Do You Know Your Credit Status?
- – Debt Counselling or Debt Consolidation? Know the Difference Before You Sign
- – Get Help: Over-Indebtedness
- – Educational Information and Brochures
- – Consumer Tips for Becoming Credit-Wise
- – Consumer Rights
- – How to Challenge Your Credit Record
- – Information on Debt Counsellors/Counselling
Although we know that you will achieve your dream of being debt-free, we also know that this is an incredibly scary journey for you. We recognise the incredible courage, resilience and vulnerability that is required to face up to your debts, and we honour your bravery in making this decision – you will never regret it.
The walk may be scary, stressful and overwhelming, but as long as you stick with Debtline, you will not have to take it alone.